Book Club Suggestions for THE CHOCOLATE THIEF
A huge thank you to all the generous, smart readers who helped brainstorm these questions here and on Facebook for the “What Happens in Book Club, Stays in Book Club” book club, and whatever other book club wishes to use them!
We’re setting up a section of the web site to keep the different book club books organized, but in the meantime, enjoy! If you have any other thoughts, don’t hesitate to chime in, in the comments. And of course, if your own book club is reading one of the books, I would love to hear from you!
THE CHOCOLATE THIEF BOOK CLUB SUGGESTIONS
- Leather pants!
- “Explore” scents the way Cade does in Sylvain’s shop. Each person could bring a favorite spice or oil (lemon oil, nutmeg, etc.), with the label covered, and people could pass these around and see if they can identify it and discuss their associations with the scent.
- S’mores. One reader suggested making s’mores with different types of chocolate (Hershey’s, Ghirardelli, Lindt) and discussing whether one kind of chocolate evokes greater nostalgia. Or reader and “What Happens in Book Club, Stays in Book Club” organizer Shannon found some s’more martinis: http://www.recipehearth.com/smores-martini/ .
1) Who should play Sylvain in a film? Bring photos of your candidates! (No one ever seems to have nearly as much fun finding candidates for Cade, but they go together, right?)
2) Cade emphasizes the importance of Corey Bars as “every man’s” chocolate, the chocolate to which people attached in childhood. Is there any food that you love most, because of childhood associations/nostalgia, even when you know that it’s not the “good” stuff? (For example, do you ever prefer boxed macaroni and cheese over a made-from-scratch with gruyère version? Or Hershey’s chocolate to a dark Valrhona?)
3) Cade struggles between what she should do and what she wants to do, at a major crossroads in her life choices. Have you ever struggled with this choice (choosing a college major, for example)? Which did you choose, what you wanted or what you should, and how did it work out for you? Do you agree with Cade’s choice?
4) Even though Cade is heiress to a major multinational corporation, Paris makes her feel very unsure of herself. Have you ever had that feeling when you travel of being out of your element, unsure?
5) Have you been to Paris? Where there any aspects to Cade’s experience that resonated with your own?
6) The cultural collision is an important aspect of the Amour et Chocolat series. How do you think The Chocolate Thief would have been different if the story had been set in NYC, or Montreal, or some other city? Would the relationship of the lovers have been different, and if so, how?
7) Which gesture of Sylvain’s toward Cade did you find the most romantic? Why?
8) Who do you think gives the most in this relationship? And who do you think gains the most? Did you feel, in the end, they had both given their all to the relationship?
9) Imagine you have a box of chocolates in front of you and an array of diamond rings. Locked in a room for an hour, which would you have the hardest time not stealing?